Sunday, January 6, 2013

How to print on your own fabric


Sometimes I can not find the printable fabric sheets you buy at JoAnn's and I do not always want the plain fabric.  Sometimes I want polka dots in the back ground.  You can purchase Steam-A-Seam 2 Lite at JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby or your local quilt store.


The sheets are 9 x 12 so I cut my fabric a little bigger so I do not get the goo on the ironing board cover.   The Steam-A-Seam 2 Lite has a 2 papers on it a front and a back.  You peel off the back and iron it on the wrong side of the fabric.


Then I turn it over and iron the front side just to make sure there are no wrinkles.  I also want to make sure it is stuck really good.   (no OCD here)  lol.


Then I square it up to 8 1/2 x 11 so that it will fit in the printer.


This is how it will look.  After I square it up I do re iron it again to make sure all the edges are all good and stuck. 

On my computer to print I double click on the image I want
click print
print
pick the size of the picture you want to print
click print 


This is how it will come out.   For this I go into windows and type what I want and save it to my desk top.  I make this to iron on my tags for my store.


This is a super cute image I got over at http://www.freeprettythingsforyou.com/ I will iron this on another piece of fabric and just sew along the edges.  I want to make a bag for a friends little girl and put Valentine's candy in it and maybe a doll or two.  I will have to show you when it is all done.  The back ground of this fabric is yellow with tiny white polka dots. 

To set the image I put another piece of fabric on top of the image and iron it.  The heat from the iron will set the image.

Hope everyone is having a GREAT weekend.



20 comments:

  1. Nice idea. I can make my own labels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Donna. Love the images and fabric you chose! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea, thanks for sharing it - going to have to give that one a try sometime :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen another method of printing on fabric, but this seems much easier, and I already have the Steam a Seam. Thanks for this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thankyou for sharing this information Donna,have a good day.xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did this with a photo of me and my mom for her quilt, and the photo faded, I'll try setting it with the iron next time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this tutorial. I have always wanted to try this. I am going to do me some fabric printing. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello my dear friend! How are you? I'm glad you received my souvenirs, and you liked it. It is so you never forget me and I would like to see them on your blog ...
    A big hug with many blessings in this new year.
    Luciana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year Donna!! Thanks for sharing! I loved printing on fabric! Then, we had to get a new printer, and it would destroy the fabric because it was too rough. What printer do you have? Thanks for sharing and have a great week!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely idea, the polka dots are great and I really love that vintage image!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Donna!
    What a perfect tutorial. You made it so easy to follow. Thank you so much for sharing. I can't wait to try this when I get back home.
    No baby yet....we're still waiting.
    Have a wonderful week, my sweet friend.
    Blessings,
    Carolynn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Donna,
    I really appreciate you taking the time to explain how to do that. I know this will come in handy :) Oh...and what kind of printer do you use?
    Thank you :)
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the tut! I am always to put the fabric in my printer. I've gotta be brave!
    Hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Donna, I can't begin to tell you how much I have wanted to make pillows for each of my sisters-in-law of a family Christmas photo when they were children. I now understand the process. Thank you so much for this tutorial and purchasing information. Always something new to find here! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you can use this for iron on tags...Great idea and tutorial!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am visiting my followers blogs today. Was so impressed with yours I am joining up to yours too! Thanks for the idea of printing on your own patterned material Happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a nifty way to print your favorite fabrics for tags, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Donna, this is such a wonderful idea! And your tags look so cute! Thanks for the wonderful tutorial. Thanks for your prayers for my daddy!
    Blessings,
    susie

    ReplyDelete