Monday, March 19, 2018

Candy and Gum Drops For Sloan Part 1


I am back from my quilt retreat in LaGrange,
Texas.  We had a blast sewing and laughing
 until tears ran down our legs.  lol!

While I was there I worked on some blocks
for a new quilt.  Naming it after one of sweet
great nieces Sloan.  Sloan is going to be 3 next
month.  Skyler Rose and Sloan are growing so
fast and I try to spend as much time with them as
I can.  


This is fat quarter friendly and if you need a fat
quarter bundle of Candy Shop by Lecien you can 
find it here

Sew lets get started making block number 1.


To start off you will need 

One - 6 1/2 inch square of Candy Shop fabric
Two - 3 1/2 inch white squares


Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner on each
white square.

Then sew just on the outside of your line with your 
needle barely touching the line.  


Place the 1/4 inch line of your ruler on your seam
and trim.  
SET your stitches with your iron.


PRESS.

Please save your half square triangles because
we are going to use them.

Please check your block and see if you need to square
it up to 6 1/2 inches.


The 2 half square triangles you saved, you are 
going to sew along the larger edge a 1/4 of an inch
 being careful  not to stretch them.


PRESS them open.


Square them up to 2 1/2 inches.
I put the diagonal line of my ruler on the top of the
 seam line and trim the right side and then top,
flip and do the same thing. This will help you get
perfect half square triangles.


Cut 2 - 2 1/2 x  6 1/2 white strips and sew them on the 
top and the bottom of your block.

Set your stitches with your iron.

PRESS.

At this point your block should measure 6 1/2 x 10 1/2.


Cut 2 - 2 1/2 x 8 1/2 inch white strips.

(use the picture as your placement)

Place a 2 1/2 inch half square triangle on the upper right
and sew to a 2 1/2 x 8 1/2 strip.

Place a 2 1/2 inch half square triangle on the lower left
and sew a 2 1/2 x 8 1/2  strip on. 

Set your stitches with your iron.

PRESS.



Sew the right side on and the left side on like shown
in the picture.

Set your stitches with your iron.

PRESS.


This is your finished block.

It should measure 10 1/2 x 10 1/2.

Hope you enjoyed making this block with me?  If you
have and questions please feel free to email me at
lavenderrose1965@gmail.com

Stay tuned on Friday March 23 I will show you Part 2.

Hope y'all have a great day and do something you love to do.

Hugs
donna

6 comments:

  1. Hi Donna what a cute block,thankyou for the tutorial xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever! Using the cutoffs in the block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so funny, we old ones suffer from that lots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute - especially with this yummy fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Donna, I LOVE it! I am not much of a quilter, but oh, I think I need to make this square. Happy Spring, my friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete